Your bathroom is the one room in the house that receives the most traffic. As such, anyone interested in bathroom remodeling must understand that there are certain things to keep in mind when rethinking its look and function. An experienced remodeler has an advantage over the ‘new kid on the block’ because they know what goes into changing a room, but what of the first timer? What about the person that has a vision but isn’t quite sure where to start?
Here are five things any first time bathroom remodeler must take into consideration before embarking on the project:
1. “How is the Bathroom Used?” It’s a simple question with a complex answer. Sure, you can make it a simple matter of number 1s & 2s, but that is just part of the equation. How many people use the bathroom? What is the schedule for use in the morning? At night? What electrical outlet needs must be met? Should there be one or two sinks?
2. Have A Budget – No matter the complexity of the project and the size of your dream, know where you stand financially. Remodeling any room gets the blood pumping because of the possibilities, but you need to be realistic if your dollar can only stretch so far.
3. Consider Everyone’s Needs – Understanding what all home dwellers need from a bathroom means understanding the smallest details. Consider a height that works for all members of the house. In a home with varying heights, fixtures, countertops, and general bathroom hardware will have to be within everyone’s reach. Compromise will be the name of the game. Also, safeguards such as grab bars in the shower and non-slip surfaces will be important to keep in mind.
4. Storage Space – A bathroom that has ample, and usable, storage space is paramount in a success remodeling project. Without adequate storage space, your bathroom’s convenience is compromised, so during the planning stage, consider storage options that work for everyone.
5. Do Not Be Afraid to Call A Professional – There is no doubt that one way anyone involved in a remodeling project in the bathroom, or elsewhere, can save money is doing as much of the work themselves. As such, there is a cottage industry of DIY materials in both print and other types of media that all cater to the person that want to save some money. The problem, though, is that when the DIY project hits a snag, there are rarely any ideas available as to how to navigate the new problem. Suddenly, you’re stuck. On the flip-side, maybe you’re an experienced DIYer that isn’t afraid of anything, but this new bathroom remodel is throwing a bit of a curve at you. What do you do? Call the experts. Whether it’s a general contractor or master electrician/plumber, depending on the job, getting the pro involved at the right time saves headaches and may save you a lot of money in the long run. They may even provide advice as to what you’re doing right and where you may need to rethink things.
Bathroom remodeling is more than just a function of aesthetics; you need to think about function. With the right plan, budget, and know-how, you can be on your way to a successful project even though you’re a first-timer.
Call us for your bathroom project when you need an Electrician In San Antonio.